The heroic figure above, if you can see it, is from the DARE Conference 2014 web site. I wonder what feelings it evokes in you? I love it. Yes, we can fly to the stars: imperfect, comical, human though we are, we can have an adventure and reach new heights.
I'm going to be one of the speakers at this very special conference, whose tag line is "People Skills for Digital Workers."
They do everything differently at DARE. All speakers craft their talks into the standard hero's journey structure, based on Joseph Campbell's classic. This structure is almost obligatory for film scripts, and is also extremely useful for novels.
We do this work in small groups, meeting on Skype every few weeks.
You might think these meetings are a hybrid of writers' group and therapy session. But what a privilege to have companionship, guidance and support as we work our way through a particular creative process.
We started by hammering a short talk into a 12-step structure, each step introducing a new twist or crisis. So far I have gained at least five benefits.
- I have enjoyed quality time with some brilliant people.
- My talk has a stronger theme and shape.
- I have gained a greater understanding of the hero's journey literary structure.
- I have made a new narrative for my life. (Of course there are many possible records, but the needle is inclined to get stuck.)
- I am stumbling towards a deeper understanding of myself and my life. No really! It's true!
Lucky me. I'm very much looking forward to the DARE conference as a culmination and reward. Step 13?